From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.12.1
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:36:36
1 Hi,
2
3 Anyone successfully built and using glibc-2.12.1 yet?
4
5 I see the tree just pushed an update down from 2.11.2 to 2.12.1, and
6 downgrading that package is decidedly non-trivial. Only comment I can find at
7 this early stage is flameeye's blog, and this makes me quadruple nervous:
8
9
10
11
12 And if you say that “the new GLIBC works for me”, are you saying that the
13 package itself builds or if it’s actually integrated correctly? Because, you
14 know, I used to rebuild the whole system whenever I made a change to basic
15 system packages when I maintained Gentoo/FreeBSD, and saying that it’s ready
16 for ~arch when you haven’t even rebuilt the system (and you haven’t, or you
17 would have noticed that m4 was broken) is definitely something I’d define as
18 reckless and I’d venture to say you’re not good material to work on the
19 quality assurance status.
20
21 “correctness” in the case of the system C library would be “it a t least
22 leaves the system set building and running”; glibc 2.12 does not work this
23 way.
24
25 --
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com