From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:34:32
1 >> >> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is
2 >> >> there a safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never
3 >> >> worked for me.  When does that ever work?
4 >> >
5 >> >
6 >> > You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to
7 >> > text-only mode. There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it.
8 >> >  Press ENTER when you're finished, and then press "b" to boot your
9 >> > modified entry.
10 >> >
11 >> > That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
12 >> > doesn't work.
13 >>
14 >> I can't do that remotely though.  I'm probably asking for something
15 >> that doesn't exist.
16 >>
17 >> - Grant
20 > Don't do that if you don't have some tool like KVM, or other remote
21 > management of the server. Or if it is available in the data center,
22 > just call them and order this service for the time you need to do
23 > updates.
24 >
25 > This is why I don't use gentoo on servers any more, just because
26 > I rather stay safe than sorry.
27
28 How is another distro different in this situation?
29
30 - Grant
33 > But if you really need to do that (and you don't have any chance to
34 > get KVM attached), just create an virtual machine with backup of your
35 > server and test that kernel there, and check that you have all the
36 > modules you need on the server. But this is the last thing I would do.
39 > Good luck,
40 > Robert.