From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} AMD Barcelona vs. Intel Harpertown (also 10k vs 15k RPM)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:46:36
1 I'm trying to decide between an AMD Barcelona or an Intel Harpertown
2 quad-core CPU for a web/database server. The Intel would have a 5%
3 lower clock speed. I've read that Harpertown outperforms Barcelona
4 (by 20%?), but that the quad-core implementation isn't as good on the
5 Harpertown. It's surprisingly difficult to get comparative benchmarks
6 on these at similar clock speeds. Does anyone know which of these
7 should perform better in a web/database server? I support AMD on my
8 non-critical systems, but I need performance for this server.
9
10 I'm also trying to decide between a 2.5" 10k HD vs. a 3.5" 15k HD.
11 I've read that the 15k yields about a 20% I/O performance boost so I
12 think I'll go for it. I won't be using RAID at all.
13
14 - Grant