From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - which X terminal do you use?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 19:26:21
1 On Wed, 10 May 2006, Justin Findlay wrote:
2 +
3 > On 5/10/06, Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >> Konsole. Allows me to set a background. Nothing fancy, just a very light
5 >> yellow wich I find appropriate for my eyesight. Also allows to customize
6 >> text colors (directories, symlinks,etc). These two points are _really_
7 >> important--we're not talking eye candy here.
8 >
9 > You can change those colors for all tereminals by copying
10 > /etc/DIR_COLORS to ~/.DIR_COLORS.
13 But can I use them in any terminal, e.g. xterm? I suppose so, but how
14 can a non-initiate know how to do it? I'm not saying that Konsole is
15 perfect, far from it--for example, the font I use (Luxi mono) is
16 impossible to choose from the settings dialog, I had to edit a conf file
17 thanks to a suggestion by someone in this list, long ago. But at least I
18 can set the colors for the background and the text. Anyway, in my home
19 computer (just 1.5GHz, P4) Konsole is reasonably fast...
20 I just launched a xterm, just to see how it goes. The "TrueType Fonts"
21 entry in the "VT Fonts" menu is dimmed; I checked that xterm was emerged
22 with the "truetype" flag selected. The fonts are not too bad, but Luxi
23 Mono is better. And I see no menu entry to change it...
24 I don't doubt that xterm is a good piece of software, it's just that
25 some functionalities are important for some of us. And the same goes for
26 other emulators.
27
28 Anyway, thanks for the hint. It may be usefull.
29 --
30 Jorge Almeida
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list