From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:58:35
1 On 12/9/19 1:31 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
5 > I'm sure trying to get portage to do things in parallel would be a
6 > programmers nightmare.� It may not even be doable given how the tree is
7 > done or that the complexity of calculating all the options is just to
8 > much to run in parallel.
9
10 Hello Dale,
11
12 Not sure this is what you are looking for, but it's pretty easy to set up.
15 in my /etc/make.conf file I have this::
18 MAKEOPTS="-j7 -l8"
21 so it does what you are looking for on larger upgrades. Some files that
22 do not compile properly, auto limit to one core. My understanding is
23 there are a variety of mechanism to achieve this.
24
25 The kernel version/setting surely has more options, but they are
26 optimized according to the types of workloads and the scheduler you have
27 selected. YOU or anyone can waist weeks and months going down that pathway.
28
29 Then there are mechanisms to further refine how your system works.
32 It's a wide open area so read up a bit and find your comfort level.
35 hth,
36 James