From: stosss <stosss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 and HP2475w: First steps?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:38:31
1 On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:21 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >>  before damaging "delicate electronic equipment" I want
8 >>  to ask, what the best way is to switch from a 1600x1200
9 >>  pixel analogous Iiyama monitor to an Flat panel HP2475w (LCD)
10 >>  with 1980x1200 pixel monitor?
11 >>
12 >>  Graphics card is a (info via lspci):
13 >>  nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a2)
14 >>
15 >>  With one analog and one digital output.
16 >>
17 >>  Thank you very much for any help in advance!
18 >
19 > If you're using binary nvidia driver I think it should autodetect your
20 > monitor and everything should be fine... no need to specific modelines
21 > or anything like that (however if you have done that with your old
22 > monitor you may need to remove it). I switch between monitors often
23 > and it Just Works(tm). :)
24 >
25 > If you use framebuffer maybe you'll need to edit your grub config to
26 > use a different mode, but LCD usually just scales invalid modes to fit
27 > the screen anyway. I don't think you should worry about damaging it.
28
29 LCD monitors have to have the correct settings or they won't work. You
30 can damage them.
31
32 You probably have your system set up to detect your hardware just like
33 a LiveCD does.
36 If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
37 people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become
38 happy. - Thomas Jefferson