From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: Gentoo User list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] syslogd hibernating
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:47:41
1 Hello,
2
3 can anyone explain this?
4
5 I noticed today (15. January) that the /var/log/{messages,kern.log,etc.}
6 files on a box were last touched on 22. November.
7
8 sysklogd was in the rc-open /started/ state and was running.
9
10 The configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf matches completely that file on
11 another machine of mine, where the logs are properly updated.
12
13 /etc/syslog.d/ was empty on both machines.
14
15 I sent the process a HUP signal, as follows
16
17 sudo kill -HUP $(cat /var/run/syslogd.pid )
18
19 and all the log files were immediately updated and reporting.
20
21 I rebooted my machine, and the log files are untouched, it is again
22 hibernating.