From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File system meta-data indexer / checker
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:42:42
1 On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 00:14:17 Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
2 > Hello all!
3 >
4 > While struggling with managing various old backups --- just
5 > imagine 10 or so copies of almost the same content, some with `rsync`,
6 > some with `rdiff-backup`, yet some others on plain ISO's, all over a
7 > range of a few years --- I stumbled upon the following missing piece
8 > in the Linux tools ecosystem: a file-system crawler that records
9 > **only** meta-data, like all the info available through `stat`, plus
10 > an assortment of hashes of the files (at least MD5 and SHA-1,2
11 > family), and optionally ACL's and extended attributes. Thus I was
12 > wondering if someone knows a tool that fits this description.
15 > I must say I've tried to do my homework, and below are a few tools
16 > that come close, but not quite...
17 >
18 > (A) `rdup` is probably the closest to what I'm searching. However
19 > there are a few issues:
20 > * it's output format is not very parsable, especially in cases
21 > like symlinks, and a few other special cases;
22 > * it doesn't escape the file names --- and from some reason I have
23 > files containing escape sequences in them...
24 > * it records only SHA-1;
25 > * it doesn't handle ACL's or extended attributes;
26 >
27 > (B) `mtree` from FreeBSD. I found two ports of it for Linux,
28 > however my main concern is how parsable is the output...
29 >
30 > (C) `md5deep` (or `sha*deep`), which only records the checksum not
31 > other meta-data.
34 > Thus, are there any other alternatives? (Just to be clear, I
35 > don't need a "backup" solution, just something to record file-system
36 > meta-data. Maybe a "meta-backup" solution... :) )
37 >
38 > Ciprian.
41 Have a look at 'tripwire'. It's primarily an intrusion detection tool, but it does the job
42 by recording file meta-data and checksums, then checking to see if they have
43 changed. I can't remember if it handles ACL's, as it's been a few years since I used it.
47 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
48 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
49 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro