From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating an image of the system
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:30:47
1 Am 08.09.2013 20:51, schrieb Benjamin Block:
2 > Hej folks,
3 >
4 > I wonder what is a good way to create an image of a gentoo-system, so
5 > that one can apply it later to the same or other computers.
6 >
7 > In my case it is a rather simple setup: one partition, no encryption or
8 > lvm. Its a debug-setup, so its only used for certain programming-tasks
9 > and not for daily work, so no need for something fancy. The time I setup
10 > that system I also used only conservative compilation-flags and
11 > optimisation, so that it can be used on other CPUs (well, they have to
12 > be x86_64 and have to have mmx/sse[23] - but I think every setup that I
13 > intend to use this on will have these properties).
14 >
15 > So I reckon that one could just use tar with permission-preservation and
16 > some excludes like dev/sys/proc/tmp. But is this a good idea or is there
17 > a better way to do this? I never cloned a gentoo-system, so thats why I
18 > would like to be at least somewhat sure about it, so that I don't have
19 > to reconfigure it later again, because I messed it up :D
22 Tar with permission preservation is fine. Just exlude everything in
23 dev/sys/proc/tmp as you said. But make sure, that these directories are
24 in your tar file, it does not matter if they are empty, but they have to
25 exist in order to boot proplery.
26
27 One special case. To boot you most likely will need /dev/console and
28 /dev/null. Just inlcude those two device nodes in your tar file.
29
30 Optionally use compression (gz, bz2, xz, ...) on your tar to safe some
31 space.