From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Rebuilding a kernel on a hardened gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 09:49:11
1 I got the job to admin a gentoo server that was configured and setup by
2 a former admin.
3
4 No surprise that it is outdated ...
5
6 It runs with profile "hardened/linux/amd64" and kernel 4.1.15-gentoo-r1
7
8 That kernel does not have the necessary flags enabled to support EXT4
9 ACLs ...
10
11 At first I emerged latest stable gentoo-sources, enabled these flags and
12 compiled ... but the lpfc module didn't detect the SAN devices
13 correctly, so I switched back to 4.1.15 (mark this as another todo here
14 ... sooner or later I want a more recent kernel working with lpfc ... I
15 have no clue about multipath so far)
16
17 -
18
19 Right now I always get this when I run "make bzImage" (
20
21 # make bzImage
22 CHK include/config/kernel.release
23 CHK include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
24 CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
25 CC kernel/bounds.s
26 kernel/bounds.c:1:0: error: code model kernel does not support PIC mode
27 /*
28
29 make[1]: *** [Kbuild:44: kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
30 make: *** [Makefile:990: prepare0] Error 2
31
32 Why?
33 Because the gcc has flags enabled?
34
35 I googled but klibc-related stuff doesn't seem to apply here.
36
37 I am not insisting on hardened profile but want to avoid bigger issues
38 when switching profiles without thinking ...
39
40 -
41
42 Basically I only need:
43
44 CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
45 CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
46
47 in my kernel ;-)
48
49 But this leads into these new areas of learning ...
50
51 greets, Stefan