From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @ world -> @preserved-rebuild -> @preserved-rebuild -> what next?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:43:43
1 On Friday 13 November 2009 14:39:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:58:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Almost invariably it's an automagic dependency where the offending
4 > > package is not in DEPEND. If you have been through the cycle at least
5 > > once, it is safe to delete /var/lib/portage/preserved_libs_registry and
6 > > continue on your way.
7 >
8 > Won't that leave orphaned libraries hanging around since they aren't
9 > removed until emerges complete successfully? I've seen this behaviour
10 > before, where the list gets shorter each time and let it run its course.
11 > It may take longer, but you know it's safe.
14 Interesting point. My tests before indicated that a full --depclean sorted
15 everything out, but I can't be certain. @preserved-rebuild deletes orphans
16 once it's complete, but it would be nice to verify what happens otherwise.
17
18 Unfortunately, it's been a long time since any of my machines got stuck in
19 this loop. I must have earned some good joss in recent months...
20 --
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com