From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: jarausch@××××××.be
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] layman : unterminated character set at position 1
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 03:31:29
1 On Tue, 07 May 2019 13:05:59 +0200
2 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > I'm struggling with layman. Using version 2.4.2-r1 as well as version
6 > 9999 I get
7 > for several overlays like for palemoon :
8 >
9 > layman -a palemoon
10 >
11 > * Adding overlay...
12 > * Overlay "palemoon" is not official. Continue installing? [y/n]: y
13 >
14 > * CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
15 > * Exception caught installing repository "palemoon":
16 > * unterminated character set at position 1
17 >
18 > So, what does this error message really mean.
19 > What file is involved and how to fix this?
20 >
21 > Many thanks for a hint,
22 > Helmut
25 It looks like bug #676074[1]
26
27 I've found a suitable workaround of looking at the versions of python
28 I'm building layman for, and explicitly telling it to use a version of
29 Python other than 3.7 to run layman.
32 katipo2 ~ # EPYTHON=python3.7 layman -a pentoo
33
34 * Adding overlay...
35
36 * CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
37 * Exception caught installing repository "pentoo":
38 * unterminated character set at position 1
39
40 katipo2 ~ # EPYTHON=python3.6 layman -a pentoo
41
42 * Adding overlay...
43 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman && /usr/bin/git clone https://github.com/pentoo/pentoo-overlay.git /var/lib/layman/pentoo )
44 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/pentoo && /usr/bin/git config user.name "layman" )
45 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/pentoo && /usr/bin/git config user.email "layman@localhost" )
46 * Successfully added overlay(s) pentoo.
49 1: https://bugs.gentoo.org/676074