From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System for PIII now lives in K7; any way to rebuild without full reinstall?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:21:37
1 Howdy folks. Today I have a fun exercise but am short on ideas. Any
2 suggestions?
3
4 I have an old hard drive from my router, a Pentium III. Now i've gone
5 and put that hard drive in an Athlon-based machine, which doesn't
6 support the P-III instruction set completely.
7
8 The computer boots and the kernel runs just fine, but many of the
9 programs do not work. The biggest thorn in my side is emerge not
10 working; therefore, I can't fix the problem with a simle empty-tree
11 emerge.
12
13 I am considering doing a full reinstall. But, I don't want to be
14 bothered.
15
16 What do you all think of the idea of extracting a stage3 onto an
17 existing installation? Is there any way this could yield a set of
18 utilities (namely python or emerge, whichever isn't working now) enough
19 so that I could successfully issue an 'emerge -e world' ?
20
21 Thanks for your time and suggestions,
22 Dan Farrell
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list