From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:24:00
1 Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
2
3 > Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 > >
5 > > sound-juicer has several problems:
6 > >
7 > > - it depends on gstreamer/libcdio which is not a logal code combination.
8 > >
9 > > - It uses libmusicbrainz to extract the TOC and gets wrong TOC
10 > > information for CD-extra, then tries to "play" data tracks.
11
12 > No doubt true (as you clearly know about this stuff), however:
13 >
14 > - Irrelevant to me as it plays the cds as required (thats *all* it need
15 > to do).
16 > - An enhanced cd with data tracks etc is not actually a cd according the
17 > Phillip spec...
18
19 Well, it is on the Philips specs and is called CD+ or CDextra.
20
21 A more general problem is the license incompatibility with libcdio. Sun dropped
22 libcdio already a year ago after Sun lawyers detected the problem and I expect
23 that Linux distros will do the same soon.
24
25 Jörg
28 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
29 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)