From: Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:56:51
1 behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > Hello everyone.
3 >
4 > I really like to have control over my machine as much as possible. In this
5 > way I will learn a lot, so I am trying to remove all the default use flags
6 > and control them manually.
7 >
8 > I just don't know which "global" use flags are absolutely necessary to the
9 > system to make it snappier or secure.
10 > What do you recommend ?
11 >
12 > Thanks
13
14 Oh, USE-Flags are so boing :( They are documented well (quse -D $FLAG), you can even look into specific ebuilds what they actually do.
15
16 If you want to learn Gentoo the hard way I suggest to emerge -C python. or emerge -C glibc (yeah, glibc is gnome, and I hate gnome! Whoops, it was glib, not glibc... errr)
17 Or install certain packages by hand (make install) into /usr/local and forget about it.
18
19 (Before someone asks: Those are issues people actually had in the forums and it's really hard to track them down or fix them, you will learn quite a bit about your system ;)...)
20
21 To be more serious:
22 * Set a minimal basic profile (as already suggested)
23 * Tune your USE-Flags in make.conf. media-related flags (mp3, flac) should be harmless, if you touch flags that get used in core packages (e.g. in the toolchain) double (or triple) check if you don't do evil things.
24 * fine tune USE-Flags on a per-package-base via /etc/portage/package.use