From: Emmanuel Vasilakis <mrzammler@××.st>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] AMD RX GPU in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 14:56:35
1 Hi!
2
3 I'm running a pretty old PC. A Core2Duo E8400 and a GT730 nvidia card.
4
5 Now, this is ok for what I need: work (emacs and bunch of terminals) and
6 some little Kerbal Space Program.
7
8 I'm thinking of upgrading some time in the next months to a 3600 AMD
9 Ryzen when they are available, but in the mean time, I was also thinking
10 about changing to an AMD gpu too.
11
12 The nvidia driver although ok, is giving me some trouble mostly when
13 suspending to ram. Sometimes it wont work, and the culprit from dmesg is
14 likely the nvidia blob.
15
16 So, assuming I would get an RX550/560 card, how well do the amdgpu
17 drivers (open source) work? Are they ok for steam games? Do they provide
18 KMS (switching to a Ctrl+Alt+F1 is always garbled now). ? Are they
19 completely tear free?
20
21 Plus, my current GT730 is passively cooled. Are there any RX cards that
22 at least spin down the fans when I'm working on desktop (no
23 plasma/gnome, simple Openbox with no heavy gpu requirements). I really
24 like silence! :-)
25
26 Thanks,
27 Emmanuel