From: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 23:41:41
1 * Daniel Frey:
2
3 > Can't do anything, ipv6 is completely disabled (removed from kernel
4 > config.)
5
6 A search for "linux kernel enable ipv6" just returned more than 1.7
7 million results.
8
9 > Current ISP will not issue any ipv6 if an ipv4 static is required.
10
11 My current ISP offers native IPv6 and has been doing so for years.
12 While choice varies across different countries, IPv6 availability has
13 increased considerably over the last 10 years, which is why SiXXs.net
14 has discontinued services[1] mid 2017. Even a small amount of searching
15 should turn up a decent ISP in most industrialized countries.
16
17 [1] https://www.sixxs.net/sunset/
18
19 > ipv4 works just fine....
20
21 Maybe our ancestors should never have come down from the trees. Perhaps
22 even leaving the oceans was a dumb move. ;-)
23
24 Seriously, IPv4 may appear to work "just fine" for you, but there is a
25 lot of nasty stuff like NAT going on under the hood. IPv6 means a lot
26 less hassle if you have a decent ISP and a halfway modern router.
27
28 It will take a while longer before the lack of free IPv4 addresses
29 becomes too profound to ignore even for private users, but users with
30 more advanced needs already feel the squeeze. My recommendation is to
31 pick a proper ISP and select a proper router when the current one has
32 lived out its life (or maybe a firmware update suffices). The higher the
33 customers' demand for IPv6, the more incentive there is for ISPs and
34 router manufacturers to get cracking.
35
36 -Ralph