From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] unkillable processes
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:45:23
1 Hi,
2 My wife ran into a problem this evening that required I do a
3 reboot. She runs Gnome. Sometimes something about her setup goes
4 haywire and she loses all her desktop icons and her wallpaper. In the
5 past I've found that if we log her out and then in the console kill
6 all processes left running with her account as the owner that she can
7 then log back in and use Gnome correctly.
8
9 This evening one of these processes was unkillable. I tried
10
11 kill -15 PID
12 kill -9 PID
13 killall -9 process_name
14
15 but none worked. To make forward progress I just rebooted.
16
17 Is there some other way I could have tried killing this process?
18
19 Thanks,
20 Mark
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list