From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 04:43:56
1 On 2021-11-28 11:50-0500 Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > This switch is NOT bringing in systemd.  It is just switching which
4 > package is now providing udev as extracted from systemd. The news
5 > item actually gives a bit more detail.
6 >
7 > The network name switch (which I had thought was mentioned in the new
8 > item, but apparently is not, so I don't remember where I read it) is
9 > not directly due to eudev vs. udev, but to the "new" (years old at
10 > this point) switch to consistent naming (or something like that) so
11 > your network is probably something like enp20s2, reflecting which
12 > slot your network card is physically in.  I'm pretty sure there is a
13 > kernel boot parameter which forces the old way, but can't find it
14 > now, as I switched to the new naming with eudev, so switching to udev
15 > didn't break anything for me.
16
17 The name switch is announced via a warning message when you emerge udev:
18
19 WARN: postinst
20
21 udev-249 defaults to predictable interface renaming, as described in
22 the URL below:
23 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
24
25 If you wish to disable this, please see the above documentation, or set
26 net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line.
27
28 You can change settings for log messages in make.conf, see
29 /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for documentation (search
30 for PORTAGE_ELOG). I have
31 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save echo:error,warn,log" in my make.conf. echo
32 means the messages are displayed again when emerge exits.
33
34 > […]
35
36 Kind regards, tastytea