From: Viktor Milivojevic <milivojevic_viktor@××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] nvidia and modesettings, black screen xorg confioguration.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:29:52
1 I've tried to follow this wiki NVIDIA/Optimus to set nvidia optimus up. I've switched from fx86-video-intel to fx86-video-modesetting by adding the following lines into my make.conf file.
5 VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965 iris nvidia"
6
7 INPUT_DEVICES="libinput synaptics"
11 Originally after I did this X server wouldn't start so I made a post asking for help.
12
13 But nvidia offloading didn't work so I removed all the files under /etc/X11/ and /usr/share/X11 and tried to write my own X config files to make it work, but I wasn't successful at my attempt on getting nvidia offloading to work so I had my friend send me his config files because they were gentoo stock config files, as I forgot to make a backup of my original config files non intentionally.
17 I've tried to follow this guide as described here but I got a black screen and a segfault.
18
19 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8458394.html#8458394
23 I found this Xorg.0.log but I'm unsure if it's the same one from the image that I linked because I'm using modesetting right now.
24
25 https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/d90708f7bcc04187a5c4bfb33920beb1/files/abf3d135c02a4cbd8cdd3db38651d8fc/raw
29 I have an ASUS X541nc laptop, xrandr doesn't detect my nvidia card.
33 xrandr --listproviders
34
35 Providers: number : 2
36
37 Provider 0: id: 0x45 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting
38
39 Provider 1: id: 0xb1 cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting
43 But the nvidia-smi does
44
45 https://paste.gg/p/anonymous/fbb4a4dc92494f7481d9817a970ed666/files/aaeb148eeaad45acae02129dba61d229/raw
49 How to get nvidia offloading to work properly, right now I can get only intel to work with the default gentoo configuration without xorg.conf file that tries to setup nvidia, deleting that enables intel modesetting to be used by default.
53 Regards