From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constraining X display resolutions
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:30:52
1 Frank Steinmetzger skrev:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 schrieb Mick:
5 >>>> However, Linux GUIs are very good at geometric upscaling, so I suggest
6 >>>> increasing font and icon sizes.
7 >>>>
8 >>> I'll try that anyway; it may give me a better compromise. Thanks.
9 >>>
10 >> I've had the same problem on a high resolution (1920x1080), small size
11 >> screen (15.6"). The characters are tiny and anything else but native
12 >> resolution makes images and characters blurred. The solution was to
13 >> increase the font size on the terminals and KDE apps. However, I don't
14 >> know how to make the characters in the Firefox menus and body larger. Am
15 >> I supposed to run gconftool-2 with some esoteric options?
18 > There's a package that lets GTK apps look like KDE apps, including font,
19 > called kcm_gtk. It adds a page to System settings under
20 > Appearance->Appearance called GTK styles and fonts.
23 Running fluxbox myself, but the idea should work across desktops: use
24 xrandr and lie to X about the physical size of your screen. On my TV I
25 run xrandr first once without arguments to get the actual size, dive the
26 sizes by two and run xrandr like so: "xrandr --fbmm 443x247". This is a
27 32" 16:9 TV. Stick this last bit somewhere early in your login-sequence.
28 Works beautifylly.