From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 02:38:21
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Bruce Hill
3 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > [snip]
5 >> It offends me.
6 > That's too bad. In public mailing lists profanity happens a lot. I
7 > suggest you not to read LKML; Linus is famous for his outbursts: you
8 > probably would get offended a lot.
9 >
10 > Regards.
13 I happen to know Bruce. I don't just mean to see his posts here but I
14 have actually met him in person, in real life, eyeball to eyeball and
15 more than once and over several years at that. I understand why it
16 offends him since I know him but most likely he won't say it because,
17 well, he is a better person than most. So, I'll explain it as best as I
18 can for you.
19
20 Bruce is a Christian, as am I. You ever see me post profanity like
21 that? I bet you haven't seen him post any either. You ever wonder
22 why? I do my very best to be respectful, even if someone can't or won't
23 do the same for me. Thing is, you don't just make yourself look bad
24 when you use that kind of language, you make everyone else here look bad
25 too. We, as in anyone on this list, may disagree on things at times but
26 there is no need for bad language nor should it happen either. It is
27 uncalled for to say it lightly. Pointing to other bad behaviour is no
28 excuse either. I'm not a member of the kernel mailing list nor do I
29 want to be. Their reputation precedes them on that one.
30
31 Several years ago, the -dev mailing list was a sewer of a place to be.
32 It gave Gentoo a very bad reputation and was talked about all over the
33 place. Back then, I used Gentoo but by no means was I proud of the way
34 the people treated each other on -dev. I had no reason to be either.
35 There are occasional exceptions to this but for the most part, I am
36 proud of what Gentoo has become. How it has fixed its reputation on its
37 own. I really hope -user is not going to have to go through the same
38 thing -dev did. I hope -user is not going to turn into what -dev was a
39 few years ago. One thing for sure, I'm not going to take it there. I
40 hope others will join me on this one.
41
42 Why not try this, treat others as you would like to be treated. Some of
43 us, don't like the profanity and I include myself in that. As you said,
44 this is a PUBLIC mailing list. That means anything we do is seen by
45 others. We should ALL remember that. If we don't, we will be talked
46 about like we was a few years ago when -dev was so bad but this time it
47 will be -user.
48
49 If you are not a religious person, then fine, some of us are. It
50 doesn't mean we can't still respect each other and be a better place
51 than the LKML.
52
53 Dale
54
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!