From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer directfb permissions?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:36:22
1 On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:30:02AM +0200, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 25 April 2011 23:38:04 Indi wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 05:50:01PM +0200, Indi wrote:
4 > > > ...using the directfb for vo gives
5 > > > sterling results, with the worst files playing happily in sync just like
6 > > > I always dreamed -- but only as root!
7 > > >
8 > > > Obviously there's a permissions issue somewhere...
9 > >
10 > > Oh jeepers, I've made a silly error -- the reason videos were playing so
11 > > well as root is that root had no .mplayer/config, :)
12 > > Apparently I just needed to clean up my config file and now it works
13 > > just fine again with x11 driver. Didn't realize defining a couple of audio
14 > > and video filters would impact performance that much but apparently it
15 > > really does, at least with avi and mkv files. Sorry for the noise!
16 > >
17 > > For other reasons though it might still be nice to know how to give a
18 > > user directfb permission.
19 > >
20 > > :)
21 >
22 > Just an idea.
23 >
24 > Not sure if it uses svgalib - in which case setuid it to root before you fire
25 > it up as a plain user.
26 >
27 > Alternatively, run strace as a plain user and see at what point it fails to
28 > access the files it needs.
29 > --
30 > Regards,
31 > Mick
34 Thanks for the suggestions.
35 Was going to look into that just now but after updating the system
36 (and runing revdep-rebuild and python updater and --depclean) the
37 directfb driver doesn't display properly anymore for some reason.
38 Everything else seems fine, and videos are playing in sync with the x11
39 driver and all that. I have a feeling from what Ive read STFW that this
40 is going to come down to my ATI Mobility 9600 chipset's incomplete kernel
41 support and may not be practically solvable to the point of being worth
42 pursuing.
43
44 I may pursue it anyway at some point in the future but for right
45 now it's been moved to the back burner for a bit.
48 /\ /\
49 <\ />
50 ^ caveat utilitor
51 'v-v'