From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] move instalation from one system to another one.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:34:10
1 * Platoali (platoali@×××××.com) [30.07.08 10:57]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > My old laptop is dying. I'm going to move my gentoo installation to a new
5 > one. The old one was an old Pentium-M and the new one is core due. I want to
6 > to tar the root and boot and .. files from the old one to untar it to the
7 > new one. I want to know, What packages needs to rebuild (with What flags?)
8 > in the old one so that I would have a basic runable system in the new that I
9 > can rebuild all the packages on the new system with the new FLAGS?
10 >
11 > Did anyone do this in the past? Have anyone any experiences regarding this
12 > issue? Any comments? suggestions?
13 >
14 > This is my old laptop make.conf
15 >
16 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
17 > CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe"
18 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
19 > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
22 Don't do it.
23
24 I think your kernel will only support the pentium-m and most of the
25 software also. So a emerge -e world would bee necessary.
26
27 Normal Gentoo Installations are highly optemized for the specific
28 hardware. That is the whole point about using gentoo.
29
30 so save your world file and then setup up gentoo fresh and new. Won't be
31 that long, as you now own a core 2 duo...
32
33 > Best regards
34 > Ali Yazdi
37 If you want such functionality, use Debian or Ubuntu.
38
39 Sebastian
42 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
43
44 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de