From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 has landed
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:09:38
1 Well, at least on ~x86 and ~amd64 gnome3 is the default now. I have
2 mixed feelings about gnome3, so I let gentoo install it on a VirtualBox
3 VM to start with and I'll think about updating my real machines later.
4
5 The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
6 I find it counterproductive.
7
8 I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
9 along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up. (The gnome-
10 shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
11 applets.)
12
13 If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
14 function in System Settings. Click the Graphics icon and enable the
15 gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell. Ah, much better :)