From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSL giving corrupted MAC on input
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 00:47:13
1 On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 02:31:38 Simon wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 > I'm getting this issue where even very small transfers through ssh
4 > will cause this error message: Corrupted MAC on input. I've done my
5 > homework and found out this is not necessarily related to the network
6 > hardware as TCP would retransmit such corrupted packets, moreover the
7 > error message is clearly related to ssh as googling proves this.
8 >
9 > A quick troubleshooting i've done was to setup apache and simply
10 > wget a very large file over plain HTTP. Transfer worked, i did it a
11 > second time and diff'ed the two downloads, they were the same. I then
12 > did the same test over HTTPS and got an error
13 > (SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac). This clarified
14 > the problem is much more related to SSL than anything else.
15 >
16 > A quick glance at `emerge -vp openssl` showed an issue: it had been
17 > compiled with sse2 support while this computer's cpu didnt support
18 > that. Changed use flags and recompiled, restarted ssh and apache.
19 > They both continued giving the same error. I finally rebooted the
20 > machine, in case, but same issue still... The only use flag for
21 > openssl now is zlib.
24 What did you recompile? There may still be a library using the "sse2" flag.
25
26 Have you tried using the "--newuse" or "--reinstall changed-use" emerge flags?
30 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
31 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
32 Then, when you do, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.