From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:07:02
1 On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:55 PM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi R0b0t1,
3 >
4 > On 04/25 02:15, R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
6 >> > I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
7 >> > emulators and the one, which came closer to
8 >> > what I want is sakure.
9 >> > But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
10 >> > (catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
11 >> > of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
12 >> > six times more time than urxvt.
13 >> >
14 >> > Combining this with the compile sessions, which
15 >> > are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
16 >> >
17 >>
18 >> I would suggest looking at:
19 >> *) https://github.com/jwilm/alacritty
20 >> *) https://github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
21 >
22 > I tried alacritty before ... or better: I tried to solve
23 > all dependencies and stopped at a certain point because
24 > it got all too ... how should I call that.... fuzzy?
25 >
26 > Kitty needs python3 ... I am on python2.
27 > Last time I got in conflict with these pythons I finally
28 > had to decide to reinstall my Gentoo from ground up
29 > (others things were also a reason, so not to blame
30 > python alone).
31 > So I stopped here also.
34 If your system doesn't support python 3 then that is arguably the
35 larger problem and you should get it fixed before you are *forced* to
36 get it fixed when support is dropped.
39 >> Both of which are OpenGL accelerated. Unfortunately I'm not entirely
40 >> sure why sakura is slow. Finding out might be worthwhile. Alacritty is
41 >> the shiniest, but unfortunately the rust build and setup process looks
42 >> very insecure, similar to Haskell. Take into account that those
43 >> languages are experimental.
44 >
45 > I tried xfce4-terminal as suggested by Floyd...and got exactly the
46 > reversed timings. He found xfce4-terminal six times faster than
47 > urxvt and I got the reversed result.
48 > If I could find the culprit on my box I would be happy with sakura
49 > and/or xfve4-terminal.
50 > Where can I start?
51 > What may be the reasons?
54 I'm not exactly sure what timing something *inside* the terminal will
55 accomplish, as it's very possible that all writes will be passed to
56 buffered, memory mapped areas. In essence all that would be timed is
57 the system calls and any time the programs spend processing their
58 input, not anything that the terminal emulator has any control over,
59 like rendering and scrolling speed. In any case try running the tests
60 a few times to see if the files (including the executables) are cached
61 and the operations complete more quickly.
62
63 If terminal emulators differ in anything but their rendering speeds I
64 would be extremely surprised, as that is really all they do. The
65 suggestion to look for compositing is a good one. I suggest the
66 useflags "egl gles gles2 opengl" (or some variation of that) to make
67 sure acceleration is enabled for every program that can use it.
68
69 As an aside, the above useflag changes and some others are on a list
70 of things I think should really be added to the handbook - they're
71 basically essential for a usable system on most hardware now.
72
73 >> > What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
74 >> > terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
75 >> > I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
76 >> > TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
77 >> > any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
78 >> > I am simply using openbox.
79 >> >
80 >>
81 >> Tabs are probably a stretch though I admit they are a useful feature.
82 >
83 > I dont like to insert just another layer of confusion ;) with
84 > my terminal like screen of tmux. They are fine for in special cases
85 > but for my daily tabbed terminal I would like to have native support
86 > rigth in the terminal emulator.
87 >
88 >> I would recommend that if you find a Desktop Environment that has a
89 >> program you like you simply use it though the look may clash with your
90 >> other programs. It's hard enough to find programs that do what you
91 >> want on Linux.
92 >
93 > I have no problems with the 'optical clash'. But I don want to
94 > pull in dozenz of dependencies (KDE) just for a terminal emultor.
95 > These will also increase the amount of stuff which needs to be
96 > updated...
97 >
98 >> > What are your experiences?
99 >> >
100 >>
101 >> Nothing really seems to do what I want, and that may translate into
102 >> nothing really doing what you want.
103 >
104 > ...or in other words: I need to find the reason, why some terminal
105 > emulators are slow on my box and not on others...
106 >
107 >> > Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
108 >> >
109 >> > Cheers
110 >> > Meino
111 >> >
112 >> > PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
113 >> > of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
114 >> > by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
115 >> >
116 >>
117 >> Check the list on that gist - may as well keep trying them until you
118 >> find one that you like.
119 >
120 > To prevent exactly that was the reason for asking for experiences
121 > others made with terminal emulators.
122 > Blindly following the compile-install-test-desinstall cycle with
123 > applications listed somewhere is not efficient.
126 If you can't come up a very specific feature list you will have to
127 resort to trying programs yourself. Otherwise, it looks like all of
128 them qualify.
131 On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Grant Edwards