From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anybody know how to disable CSD for meld?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 21:06:05
1 On 2022-09-14, Meik Frischke <meik.frischke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am 2022-09-14 19:21, schrieb Grant Edwards:
3 >> Meld just updated from 3.20.4 to 3.22.0 (I have ~amd64 set for meld),
4 >> and now meld uses client side decorations instead of allowing the
5 >> window manager to handle that stuff. [...]
6 >>
7 >> For now, I'm goint to revert to 3.20.4, but hopefully there's a way to
8 >> get meld 3.22 to behave itself?
9
10 > You might want to have a look at gtk3-classic [1] which includes the
11 > functionality of the dated gtk3-nocsd [2] hack. The former is
12 > available in the khoverlay as a patcheset.
13
14 Thanks! I had found gtk3-nocsd. I initially ran across it many years
15 ago when trying to get evince to act like a good X11 app, but
16 switching from evince to atril solved that problem without having to
17 try gtk3-nocsd.
18
19 gtk3-nocsd was a seperate library that replaced a few GTK3
20 functions. It was used by setting LD_PRELOAD so that the gtk3-nocsd
21 library was searched first -- that way it could be applied only to
22 specific executables.
23
24 OTOH, gtk3-classic is a set of source patches that get added to the
25 "normal" gtk portage directory. Those patches are then used the next
26 time gtk3 is emerged. That means that it's a permanent, system-wide
27 change: all executables that use GTK3 will be using a library that has
28 the classic patches.
29
30 Am I undertanding the mechanisms correctly?
33 Grant