From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck.fat 4.1 - File system couldn't be fixed
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 22:06:47
1 On 12/11/20 4:36 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I wipe the /boot, reinstall kernel, initframes, grub.
3 > The system boots, I can login as root but X is not running,
4 > the command is displaying: "(none) /#"
5 >
6 > When I try to start the network I get:
7 > fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
8 > Filesystems couldn't be fixed
9 > ERROR: fsck failed to start
10 >
11 > It seems to me "/" file system mount in "read only" mode.
12 > When I try to emerge anything I get: /var/log/emerge.log Read-only file
13 > system.
14
15 I fell like I'm shooting at a moving target.  Are you using genkernel or
16 not?  Are you using grub or rEFInd?  Is there any interesting error in
17 dmesg?  Is initframes hopefully just a typo for initramfs?  When
18 booting, can you see what the boot  mgr is doing or trying to do?
19
20 You say X is not running -  are you using (or trying to use) a display
21 manager?  You might be better off starting without one, and using a
22 command line login before adding the complexity of X.
23
24 I'll guess the "none" is the hostname as part of your shell prompt.  You
25 can "fix" that by setting a hostname for the PC.
26
27 Are you sure that fsck message has anything to do with starting the
28 network?  It looks like fsck can't find the open command, so there may
29 be something more wrong than just a read-only /.