From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "/usr/bin/[" and coreutils
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 05:48:21
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [11-10-12 07:40]:
2 > I have been checking my system for some deep seated problems and in the
3 > process, ran across the fact that "equery files sys-apps/coreutils-8.7"
4 > shows a file included called "/usr/bin/[" - thats right, left square
5 > bracket!
6 >
7 > Is that a bug or if real, what would you use it for? It doesnt seem to
8 > be on the file system ...
9 >
10 > moriah ~ # /usr/bin/[
11 > /usr/bin/[: missing `]'
12 > moriah ~ #
13 >
14 > doesnt show much!
15 >
16 > BillK
20 Hi Wiiliam,
21
22 this is a convenient 'abbreviation' or 'alias' for cobnstructs such this one
23
24 if [ foo ]
25 then
26 bar
27 fi
28
29 in shell scripting.
30
31 Most shells have implemented this as a builtin (and 'test' also)
32 though.
33
34 HTH!
35