From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:37:44
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:56:28 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > > Well, for one, the initramfs solution is not generally considered
4 > > "ugly" except by a select vocal few who object to it on vague,
5 > > unarticulated grounds.
6 >
7 > I'll articulate a few. (i) The initramfs involves having two copies of
8 > lots of software around.
9
10 Lots? For most people busybox is enough! If you want encrypted
11 filesystems on LVM over RAID that rises to a total of four executables.
12
13 > (ii) What's more, these two copies are often
14 > different, one being built with static libraries, the other with dynamic
15 > ones. (iii) This situation is not (as far as I know) yet handled by
16 > Portage, which means in building such software statically, you've got to
17 > save the dynamic version somewhere else whilst you're doing it.
18
19 That's wrong. For example, LVM builds dynamic executable plus the
20 lvm.static file for use in the initramfs.
21
22 > (iv)
23 > The initramfs requires a potentially long script to make it work.
24
25 Mount /proc, /sys and /dev.
26 Mount root
27 Unmount /proc, /sys and /dev.
28 switch_root
29
30 > I think that qualifies the initramfs solution as ugly.
31
32 Only if you build the initramfs with USE="fud".
33
34 > I think I have the elegant solution: that would be for the kernel to be
35 > able to mount several partitions at system initialisation rather than
36 > just the root partition. With this, all the issues we've been
37 > discussing simply wouldn't arise.
38
39 That's an excellent idea.
40
41 > I accept that this solution will never happen. Sadly.
42
43 It's already happened here. My kernel mounts / and /usr thanks to the
44 inbuilt initramfs
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 I just bought a microwave fireplace... You can spend an evening in
51 front of it in only eight minutes...