From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (Fixed!)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 23:51:40
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:28 on Tuesday 17 May 2011, Indi did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:10:02AM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:40:32 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > I had many posts typed out, most of them rude, all of them classic
7 > > > Alan, but something held me back. Lucky it went that way, he later
8 > > > posted he read 1667MHZ as 167MHz.
9 > > >
10 > > > Amazing what a difference a "1" can make :-)
11 > >
12 > > Not nearly as much as a "6" :P
13 >
14 > Or an "s"*.
15 >
16 > :)
19 You're speaking to a grumpy old fart combined language git, who not only
20 studied English first language at length but an entire 5 year high school
21 career in Latin as well. This makes me eminently qualified to opine thusly:
22
23 All persons working in technology fields necessarily display masculine
24 attributes, hence shall be uniformly referred to by the male form of pronouns,
25 i.e. all techies are addressed as "he". The female form is not incorrect, but
26 discouraged.
27
28 All objects of technology (aka stuff what we work on), due to the peculiar
29 interaction shown to them by techies, shall be uniformly referred to by means
30 of the female form of pronouns. Vehicles and computers are especially to be
31 referred to using the "she" form. Motorcycles triply so.
32
33 Users, n00bs, marketing persons, hairdressers, telephone handset sanitizers
34 and other assorted riff-raff of the human species should be referred to using
35 the neuter form of pronouns, i.e. "it", as befitting their overall
36 contribution to humanity.
37
38 You see what I did there? You see how I recovered with a witty reposte without
39 even blinking an eye? It takes nerves of steel and much practise to pull that
40 one off, I tell you!
41
42 Let's see how long it takes Neil to find the grammar errors in that lot :-)
45 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com