From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:18:04
1 On 08/19/2010 05:37 AM, Florian CROUZAT wrote:
2 >
3 > On 19 août 2010, at 14:27, Graham Murray wrote:
4 >
5 >> Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >>> 2010/8/18 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
8 >>>> Apparently, though unproven, at 23:25 on Wednesday 18 August 2010, Elmar Hinz
9 >>>> did opine thusly:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>> The gentoo wiki suggests in different places to set the LINGUAS
12 >>>>> environment variable in make.conf.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> What has LINGUAS todo with make? I would expect it in rc.conf near the
15 >>>>> UNICODE setting.
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>> It has nothing to do with make. It has everything to do with portage.
19 >>>>
20 >>>
21 >>> Even than, LINGUAS has rather to do with OpenOffice.
22 >>>
23 >>> Has it anything to do with portage at all?
24 >>
25 >> Several packages, not just OpenOffice, can include/support different
26 >> languages. Portage uses the value of LINGUAS to tell these packages
27 >> which languages to include/support.
28 >
29 > I have access to this box where linguas=fr is set.
30 > Check this output:
31 > $ type -a [
32 > [ est une primitive du shell
33 > [ est /usr/bin/[
34 >
35 > [ is a shell built-in becomes "est une primitive du shell"
36 > I can't see any use flags in coreutils/bash that informs me it will be emerged with the linguas support.
37 > How do I know which package will be localized then ? Just curious, I don't tweak my linguas.
38
39 As others have said, it's the nls setting that does this. Specifically,
40 the string "est une primitive du shell" is part of the i18n that's in
41 the bash binary. When you set LANG or LC_MESSAGES to something
42 different, i.e., el_GR, you'll get the Greek translation. The man page
43 for locale has lots of info about this.