From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:05:38
1 Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes <at> mcaschool.net> writes:
2
3 > I am planning to begin a project to convert my laptop to a gentoo linux
4 > laptop.
7 Here's a random list of ideas that may ease the pain of conversion.
8
9 1. backup the existing system
10
11 2. Run lspci -vv, lshw, and discover to document the hardware
12 under ubuntu before beginnning the conversion. USBview can be valuable
13 is you have usb devices.
14
15 3. Save the.config file for building a kernel or the existing kernel
16 under ubuntu
17
18 4. Save the hdparm settings on the existing drive, as well as the /etc/fstab
19 and xorg or xfree configuration files. In fact a second backup of /etc/
20 and any other valuable config files is a good idea.
21
22 5. Boot the laptop with the most recent liveCD (gentoo) and see what works and
23 what does not work.
24
25 6. Research all hardware device driver issues before making the commitment.
26
27 7. Save a 'dmesg' log file.
30 hth,
31