From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:50:18
1 > The only reason I considered the motherboard RAID was that I could have
2 > an XP partition and install an ext2 driver to access my Gentoo
3 > partitions. As far as I know, a filesystem in a linux software raid
4 > cannot be accessed from windows.
5 >
6 > After reading the replies here, I'm going to go ahead with linux
7 > software raid. Accessing my linux partitions from windows isn't very
8 > important for me, as I only use XP for occasional gaming.
9
10 And even then last time i checked windows support for ext2 FS wasnt so
11 great. I personnally do all file transfer using linux (which works
12 fine with windows' fat FS, i dont use ntfs because it used to lack
13 write support long ago).
14
15 That is, in windows, i would move the files in a folder created on the
16 desktop, and then in linux, i would mount the windows drive and
17 copy/move the files in
18 /mnt/windrive/Documents*/simon/Desktop/folder_for_linux/.
19
20 If you wish to setup windows on a raid, you might consider the
21 fakeraid for that? But if you use it for gaming i dont think raid is
22 advisable, doing backups should be sufficient, IMO.
23
24 HTH, Simon