From: John <irgunii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:43:07
1 On Sunday, February 26, 2012 07:36 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > I'm the resident old fart around here
8 > I beg your pardon. ;-)
9 >
10 > Dale
11 >
12 > :-) :-)
13
14 Heh, if I can find someone close by that has a fast connection, I bet *I'll* be the new
15 resident old fart at 50 years of age just this last Monday the 20th.
16
17 I figure if I can find a fast connection, I can get what I need downloaded and burned
18 onto a dvd. I'll just 'update' things one or two at a time so that it's easy on my dial-up
19 connection. If I really, really need to update something like a kernel or something else
20 that's huge for a dial-up download, I'll just find that fast connection again and put it
21 on a cd or dvd (I *can) 'update' (emerge? still trying to get all the nomenclature down)
22 from a cd or dvd, right?) and do it that way.
23
24 A question about the stage 3 tarball thing...if I download that instead of the iso
25 (which is for 486 and up, whereas the tarball is 686 and better), how do I burn it (the
26 tarball) as an iso onto a dvd so I can install Gentoo? Also, Distrowatch.com says that
27 Gentoo has the latest in 'packages' as Feb 26, yet when I downloaded the tarball of
28 CONTENTS, it shows mostly things (gcc, glibc, kernel, etc) that are used in the January
29 release of Gentoo 12.0, not what Distrowatch has in their list of up-to-date lib's and
30 such for the 26th of Feb. Where do I find the 'package' that Distrowatch seems to have
31 found with almost everything being the latest and greatest?
35 Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and
36 well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside on your Harley at 130 mph, thoroughly
37 used and worn out, loudly proclaiming, "Hot damn! WHAT A FRIGGIN' RIDE!"