From: Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Resize /
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:25:28
1 Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 06:55 schrieb ext Dale:
2
3 > > OK, here's my proposal: First, decide which volume management system to
4 > > use (LVM or EVMS). LVM is just one more volume management tool which
5 > > you would have to learn (beside fdisk, mkfs.*, raid tools, ...), while
6 > > EVMS does it all, and more. Then, do the real work:
7 >
8 > Which one is better and good for someone new to this? I'm fairly
9 > descent at Linux. Just thought I would warn you I am not a guru, yet.
10 > ;-) I'm working on it though.
11
12 That's definitely EVMS. It replaces everything from fdisk over mkfs to RAID
13 with one single tool. You can choose between a graphical, GTK+ based, a
14 console, ncurses based and a pure cli based (for use in scripts) user
15 interface. But, since EVMS uses a slightly different terminology, first
16 read the user guide carefully.
17
18 > I never could master that tar thing others use.
19
20 Just use the one below, it works :-)
21
22 > > cd /sourcedir && tar -clf - .| tar -C /destdir -xBpvf -
23
24 Maybe even tar -C /sourcedir -clf - .| tar -C /destdir -xBpvf - works.
25
26 > OK. I did a cfdisk /dev/hdb and I found type "8E Linux LVM" and I
27 > assume that it is the one you mentioned. I have not changed anything
28 > just yet. I'm just exploring the idea here. So . . I make a boot
29 > partition like I normally would, hda1. Then create another partition
30 > that is the LVM type, primary or logical or doesn't matter? Is that
31 > correct? Is that all I have to do with cfdisk?
32
33 Don't forget the hda2, for /. You can put / on a logical volume, too. But
34 then you'll need an initrd for booting. Primary or logical doesn't matter,
35 but you don't need logical partitions anymore, because with LVM you'll
36 never need more than 2 or 3 (2, if you put / on a LV) partitions.
37
38 > I assume the rest is
39 > done elsewhere. This is the part I am trying to get my head wrapped
40 > around. I can't seem to figure out how it gets split up quite yet.
41 > Maybe you can "dummy" it down a bit for me? LOL
42
43 If you decide to use LVM:
44
45 emerge lvm2
46 Create the partitions with (c)fdisk
47 create a volume group with vgcreate
48 create logical volumes with lvcreate
49 This creates device nodes like /dev/<vg name>/<lvname>
50 Create your filesystems.
51 Upon booting, Gentoo's initscripts will do the right thing to activate your
52 LVs.
53
54 With EVMS:
55 emerge evms
56 run evmsn or evmsgui
57 create the partitions (segments), using the DOS segment manager.
58 create a volume group (container), using the LVM2 plugin (here you see that
59 to some extend, EVMS is just an umbrella for everything storage related).
60 create logical volumes (regions), again using the LVM2 plugin.
61 (optionally) turn the LVs into EVMS volumes (you can do this with every
62 storage object, to get consistant naming,
63 like /dev/evms/root, /dev/evms/usr, etc.).
64
65 > Can I also assume the 2006 Gentoo CD supports this? You also realize
66
67 Yes. Both LVM and EVMS are on the Gentoo LiveCD.
68
69 > Thanks for the help. Links are welcome. I try to read as much as I can.
70
71 http://evms.sourceforge.net is the one I would recommend.
72
73 Bye...
74
75 Dirk
76 --
77 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
78 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
79 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
80 Hambornerstraße 55 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
81 D-40472 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
82 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net