From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] dracut + UUID : a problem solved
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:42:01
1 I recently reorganised my HDD to avoid having to use initramfs .
2 Having done so, I still have some spare space on the HDD,
3 which seemed a good place to have a couple of other distros installed
4 in case I want to use Flash (my Gentoo is 64-bit) or show Linux to friends.
5
6 Fedora 17 (Xfce) installs easily enough from a USB stick
7 (my recently renewed mobo doesn't seem to be able to boot from CD),
8 but I ran into a couple of bizarre problems
9 whose solution mb of help to others in other situations.
10
11 I use Lilo -- it's simple if you're not continually changing the set-up --
12 & copied Fedora's kernel image + system map + initramfs
13 from the partition where it's installed ( /dev/sda6 ) to /boot .
14 Then I ran into 3 successive problems.
15
16 (1) Lilo refused to run, as the Fedora system map file was 'read only'.
17 As root, I tried to 'chmod 644 System...' & was told again it was 'RO'.
18 The only way I could alter its permissions was to boot System Rescue
19 & run 'chmod' there, which worked. This is bizarre.
20
21 (2) Lilo refused again, saying there was some limit of "31".
22 This was solved by emerging the testing version of Lilo.
23
24 (3) Lilo then succeeded, but Fedora had a kernel panic,
25 not being able to find the root partition.
26 It is using Dracut -- which I've studiously avoided with Gentoo --
27 & that doesn't recognise the traditional 'root=/dev/sda6'.
28 You have to use 'blkid /dev/sda6' to get a lengthy UUID for the device,
29 then replace the 'root=' line in lilo.conf with 'append="root=UUID=<blah>"'.
30
31 After all that, Fedora booted properly into the Xfce desktop.
32
33 BTW anyone doing this needs to avoid letting Fedora overwrite the MBR
34 -- it asks you & it's easy to forget -- & also not to let it set the time :
35 otherwise, you'll have problems when back home in Gentoo.
36
37 I also downloaded Mageia 2.0 , but there's a bug in its set-up
38 -- it keeps finding USB devices, the same one over & over -- ,
39 so I've given up on it. Hopefully eventually, they'll get things together :
40 I used Mandrake 2000-3 , before I moved to Gentoo.
41
42 HTH a few others.
46 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
47 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
48 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca