From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wifi, problem, problem, problem
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:50:15
1 On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 02:19:17PM +0100, Florian HEGRON wrote:
2 > > >
3 > > > This means that driver can not find ipw2200-bss.fw file (probably
4 > > > part of sys-firmware/ipw2200-firmware) to load it to wireless card
5 > > > RAM chip. Ensure that you have that file, usually it is localed
6 > > > in /lib/firmware.
7 > > >
8 > > This file is present, I checked.
11 > > How did you build this driver? I mean as module or it is
12 > > build in ([M] or [*]). If it is build in it is possible
13 > > that root file system is not mounted when driver loads.
14 > > Try to build it as module.
17 > > Regards,
18 > > Ivan
19 >
20 > Built-in and I don't have initramfs. I will test with module compilation
21 > and may be with an initramfs. What do you think ?
22
23 I *believe* if you have the driver built into your kernel:
24 CONFIG_IPW2200=y
25 then you need to have the firmware listed with these 2 lines:
26 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="ipw2200-bss.fw"
27 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
28 (Something similar to the CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE line. I don't use ipw2200 and
29 that might not be the proper way. You said the file is there, you checked, so
30 you should know the proper path and syntax.)
31
32 But if you have the driver built as a module in your kernel:
33 CONFIG_IPW2200=m
34 then you odn't have to have those 2 lines above, and the firmware will get
35 loaded properly. On my systems I have drivers requiring firmware as modules
36 (m) in my kernel, and not firmware directory listed in the kernel config.
37
38 Sounds like the easiest thing for you is to try CONFIG_IPW2200=m in your
39 kernel. When you boot with it as a module, issue:
40 dmesg | grep firmware
41 and you should have a line similar to:
42 [ 6.007039] usb 1-2: r8712u: Loading firmware from "rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
43 which would match your ipw2200-bss.fw
44
45 You don't need an initramfs just to load a module for a wireless chipset. The
46 initramfs is only needed to load modules required to boot your system.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Bruce
50 --
51 List replies preferred.
52
53 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
54 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
55 A: Top-posting.
56 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
57
58 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting