From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: *dev-less gentoo
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:33:36
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:05:52PM +0100, karl@××××××××.se wrote
2 > Alec McKinnon:
3 > > On 19/01/2016 18:51, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
4 > ...
5 > > > I have had no pain useing an old plain /dev. What's the pain ?
6 > > take a machine running a desktop. Plug in a usb printer. Where's your node?
7 >
8 > To find that out I'd investigate /sys/bus/usb, either directly or via
9 > usb-devices or some other program. I guess "some other program" is
10 > probably udev or similar for you, it might not be for me.
11 >
12 > If it is a usb disk, I just look at the output of sg_map -x -i, and then
13 > decide what to do.
14 >
15 > > That's the whole point of a dynamic dev manager, it responds to devices
16 > > changes that occur on normal modern machines and does TheRightThing(tm)
17 > > - currently defined as whatever the dev-manager config tells it to do.
18 >
19 > Ok, I don't have any usb printer, all my printers are network connected
20 > and do handle postscript and lpd.
21 >
22 > And my "dev-manager" tells the system to do nothing till the owner of
23 > the system tells it to do so, which is the right thing for me.
24 > The right thing might be something else for you.
25
26 I'm the ****-disturber who started the following wiki entries. There
27 have since been many contributions by other users...
28
29 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
30 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
31 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount
32
33 A minimal system running busybox probably also has mdev built in.
34 It's "dynamic" and can automount if desired. But if you tell it not to
35 automount, it won't.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications