From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] USB hard drive puzzle
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:55:57
1 I have an add-on usb3 adapter (based on ASMedia ASM1042 usb chip, using xhci
2 kernel driver), which I dearly love except for one very annoying 'feature' ;)
3
4 When I power up the outboard hard-disk docking station (plugged into the usb3
5 adapter) the computer never sees the docking station or its hard disk until
6 I reboot the computer. Something in the BIOS apparently resets some hardware
7 thingy, and then it all works extremely well thereafter.
8
9 Having to reboot the computer to use a usb docking station kinda defeats the
10 whole point of usb. (Or am I just being grumpy? :)
11
12 Can anyone think of some trick I could use in lieu of rebooting to get the
13 adapter/disk combination properly initialized?
14
15 Any hints would be very much appreciated.