From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:25:02
1 On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:18:23 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > > That means every write has to be encrypted 4 times, whereas using
4 > > encryption in the filesystem means it only has to be done once. I
5 > > tried setting encrypted BTRFS this way and there was a significant
6 > > performance hit. I'm seriously considering going back to ZoL now that
7 > > encryption is on the way.
8 >
9 > DISCLAIMER - I DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW THIS ACTUALLY WORKS IN DETAIL
10 >
11 > but there's been a fair few posts on LKML sublists about how linux is
12 > very inefficient at using hardware encryption. Setup/teardown is
13 > expensive, and it only encrypts in small disk-size blocks, so somebody's
14 > been trying to make it encrypt in file-system-sized chunks. When/if they
15 > get this working, you'll probably notice a speedup of the order of 90%
16 > or so ...
17
18 This isn't so much a matter of hardware vs. software encryption, more
19 that encrypting below the RAID level means everything has to be encrypted
20 multiple times.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 There's no place like ~