From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc and crossdev, anyone?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:20:16
1 On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:56:29 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > I've bought (against my better judgement) an Atom N270 box to be a LAN
4 > server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other boxes on the
5 > network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
6 > with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
7 >
8 > I thought I'd give distcc a go, but after reading the Gentoo distcc and
9 > crossdev guides and doing what they say I get no result. I might just
10 > as well not have made the effort. The Atom box just labours with the
11 > emerge without trying to send anything to the server box I've set up
12 > for the purpose.
13
14 I've found there's just too much overhead with distcc, plus much of the
15 work is still done locally. I have a couple of Atom boxes, a server and a
16 netbook, and I've set up a chroot for each on my workstation. In the
17 chroot I have FEATURES=buildpkg, using an NFS mounted PKGDIR available to
18 both computers, then I emerge -k on the Atom box.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Top Oxymorons Number 1: Microsoft Works