From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE5 & Disabling search and recent documents & thoughts
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:26:25
1 Hi Dan,
2
3 On 11/04/16 09:55, Daniel Frey wrote:
4 > OK
5 >
6 > We're in 2016 now. And KDE *still* doesn't make it easy to disable their
7 > damn indexer. I've never wanted to search through my menu, I've never
8 > wanted it to remember every damn file I've opened. It's a personal
9 > preference.
10 >
11 > WHY can't we have a single checkbox to disable all this crap? I found
12 > one and it didn't work (search in system settings.) Then when I was
13 > searching around online I found out it will reenable itself magically
14 > randomly anyway!
15 >
16 > I also tried balooctl and it didn't work either.
17 >
18 > So I got very pissed off at this point and did the following:
19 >
20 > $ chmod 444 ~/.kde4/share/apps/RecentDocuments/
21 > $ rm /usr/bin/*baloo*
22 >
23 > Rebooted
24 >
25 > $ rm -rf ~/.config/baloo*
26 > $ rm -rf ~/.local/share/baloo
27 >
28 > Rebooted again
29 >
30 > ...and FINALLY it stopped indexing and remembering stuff that I told it
31 > not to. It still remembers the last application used, but I don't really
32 > care about that. I've put those commands in a script in /etc/local.d too.
33 >
34 > Just figured others might want the info. A note, searching for files
35 > through Dolphin can be affected by this. I never do that myself, I
36 > always use a shell (konsole, etc.)
37 >
38 > I've been using and tweaking for a couple hours now and haven't seen any
39 > ill side-effects from my "nuclear" option.
40
41 In System Settings -> Search there's options to turn off the file
42 indexer as well as all the other search plugins (including recent
43 documents). I've heard that sometimes it can take a little bit for the
44 indexer to stop, but otherwise it seems to work OK fo rme.
45
46 Duncan has some patches floating around if you want to strip baloo out
47 completely.
48
49 > One other gripe on KDE5: it's 2016, why can't we use the meta key to pop
50 > up the menu? Really...
51
52 Not sure the reason why it's not native functionality, but you might try
53 x11-misc/ksuperkey.
54
55 > Other than that, things are a bit different. I'm not sure I like the
56 > flat look yet. After the upgrade for some reason the K menu was
57 > invisible, but when I set the theme to Oxygen it was visible again? I
58 > thought that was odd, did anyone else experience that?
59
60 Maybe a botched settings migration?
63 > Dan
67 Kind regards,