From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 23:05:19
1 On 04/04/2010 23:16, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > First, thanks for sticking with me on this. I really appreciate it.
3 > Second, I apologize for the length of the reply but it's still not
4 > working and I wanted to try and clearly show the steps I've taken.
5 > Maybe you or someone else will see the step I'm missing.
6
7 [snip]
8
9 > I don't know what to try next.
10
11 OK, I think I now understand what's happening here. I regret that I did
12 not recall this earlier but only the original RAID superblock format
13 (version 0.90.00) is supported for automatic assembly! I have two
14 servers that are set up in a similar way as your box, and they both use
15 this format. It's possible that the docs may be out of date but
16 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/md.txt says:
17
18 "When md is compiled into the kernel (not as module), partitions of type
19 0xfd are scanned and automatically assembled into RAID arrays. This
20 autodetection may be suppressed with the kernel parameter
21 "raid=noautodetect". As of kernel 2.6.9, only drives with a type 0
22 superblock can be autodetected and run at boot time."
23
24 Also, look at this:
25
26 http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid@×××××××××××.org/msg06215.html
27
28 To quote Neil Brown:
29
30 "v0.90 can be used with 'in kernel autodetect' (i.e. partition type
31 0xfd). v1 cannot (I consider this an improvement :-)"
32
33 Well, I can't say I agree with him there.
34
35 Anyway, it seems that you're using the 1.1 superblock format. So, what
36 options does this leave you with?
37
38 a) Backup the root filesystem, and re-create the array with the regular
39 superblock format. If necessary, coerce mdadm with -e 0 but it should
40 be a default.
41
42 b) Rely on userspace tools to assemble the array. This means either
43 having the root filesystem off raid, or using an initrd/initramfs
44 image.
45
46 I'd got for the first option as it keeps things simple and the benefits
47 of the v1 format are nebulous in practical terms.
48
49 Cheers,
50
51 --Kerin