From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compatibility with Kernel 2.6.9
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:49:57
1 Florian Philipp schrieb:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > A quick question:
5 >
6 > If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
7 > ...), are there issues I should be aware of?
8 >
9 > Do I have to mask newer glibc-versions, newer kernel headers or some use
10 > flags? What about the nptl use flag?
11 >
12 > Thanks in advance!
13 > Florian Philipp
16 Hi!
17
18 I just wanted to report back my experiences with this server:
19
20 So far everything is working :)
21
22 I could even create a basic shorewall setup. For this I needed to make
23 an empty /lib/modules/<kernel>/modules.dep file for the host's kernel.
24
25 OpenVPN works, too, but only over tun, not tap.
26
27 I'm using a 2008 profile, linux-headers-2.6.27-r2,
28 glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1 with no special use flags and baselayout-2.
29
30 I installed it using the stages here
31 http://bb.xnull.de/projects/gentoo/stages/
32 (there is a link to them in the official Gentoo OpenVZ Howto)
33 and the guide here
34 http://log.onthebrink.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html
35
36 When anyone else wants to follow that guide, too: Don't forget to
37 unmount /repair/proc and /repair/dev manually or else your server will
38 completely stall when you try to finish repair mode (no ssh, no reboot,
39 you have to call Support).
40
41 Concerning the ancient kernel: I asked some other guys and everyone had
42 such an old kernel no matter who's their provider. Given that it is a
43 SuSE Enterprise Server, it is very good possible that they still get
44 maintenance (usually 5+ years, as far as I know).