From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VM running windows as a guest
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:58:41
1 Hi
2
3 I am new to virtualization and would like to receive few notes on things before starting. I clearly see that a lot of you guys are quite pro's with that.
4
5 I would like to run gentoo and windows on my workstation at the same time so that i could get rid of rebooting my system when switching. Ideal solution would be to have X-windows in vt7 and windows 7 in vt8. Is that possible?
6
7 Based on what i have learned i think my best solution is to run gentoo as host using KVM and qemu for the windows guest. I have the windows installed on my hard-drive. Can I use that image for the guest if I run it in HVM mode?
8
9 To run serious applications in windows I probably need paravirtualization. Can I modify the old windows image or is it better to begin with a fresh install to get virtio drivers to the windows?
10
11 Here just few thoughts that i have in mind...
14 Matti