From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] fcrontab -e: ERROR Could not init PAM account management (9)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 23:00:31
1 Hello, Gentooers,
2
3 I have 3 amd64 Gentoo systems. Somewhat different hardware, but all
4 running the same Gentoo profile, same world file, same /etc/portage.
5 All up to date, all using the same binpkgs for all installed hardware.
6 At least as far as I can tell. I don't have a robust mechanism for
7 enforcing consistency among the machines, but I try to maintain them
8 as identically as possible. Little differences sneak in.
9
10 I've been using fcron for years, and I rarely need to touch it.
11 Recently I discovered that it works differently on the 3
12 machines. Only for my personal user account "john", but not for root.
13
14 On 1 machine, fcrontab -e works as expected for "john". On the other
15 2, it generates this error when invoked:
16 ERROR Could not init PAM account management (9): Authentication
17 service cannot retrieve authentication info
18
19 This message comes from inside fcrontab. The source code indicates
20 that it occurs from a failure of a call to pam_acct_mgmt(). That's
21 the part of the pam interface which checks for a valid account.
22
23 The "john" account has no other pam issues. It's the account I have
24 used for all normal activity for the 20+ years I've used Gentoo. It
25 has the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group entries on all machines.
26 /etc/pamd.d is identical on all machines: content, timestamps, and
27 ownership included. So, I'm at a loss for what to examine next. I'm
28 thinking that atching what pam does on the working/nonworking machines
29 may provide some clues.
30
31 There's a pam_debug module that I assume is written to do just this.
32 But I find the man page confusing, and Google sheds more darkness than
33 light.
34
35 Can anyone explain how they debug pam problems?
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 John