From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:21:05
1 Am 13.08.2014 um 18:55 schrieb James:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
5 >> On Wednesday 13 August 2014 15:07:19 James wrote:
6 >>> maybe I need to return to cleaning up distfiles/ by hand?
7 >> Yes, I see I have other things than .tar.bz2 too, now you mention it.
8 >> One of my boxes runs http-replicator to serve distfiles to the network. The
9 >> clean-up script I run after upgrades includes this line:
10 >> find /var/cache/http-replicator -ctime +182 -exec rm '-v' {} +
11 >> Also, have you tried eclean-dist, from app-portage/gentoolkit?
12 >
13 > I'm not sure why, I figured I did not have to manually clean up
14 > /distfiles/ any more. for a period of time I could sware that
15 > it was a clean repository for compressed/tar source files only.....
16
17 never was. Never will be.
18 >
19 > Now that I'm looking, it looks like a policy decision for the devs
20 > to formally evaluate. /distfiles/ should not be a dir for garbage,
21 > one-off-files and other such nonsense. It was (circa 2004 for me)
22 > a repository for compressed sources.
23
24 you are wrong. There is no 'garbage' in $DISTDIR, only stuff needed to
25 install a certain package. Nothing there is random or without reason.
26 Maybe you should educate yourself a bit. Not everything is distributed
27 as compressed tar. Not everything needed is included in archives. Not
28 everything is done because you imagine it that way.-
29
30 And it never was a repository for compressed sources - ever. At least
31 not since Gentoo 1.0
35 > Maybe we can get systemd
36 more idiotic ideas? Why not ask the kernel to clean it up. Or your
37 mother. Or maybe someone else who has nothing to do with package
38 managment...?
41 > to clean this up? It's the new "daddy"
42 > for all sorts of poorly wrtten codes, so why not add cleaning up
43 > /distfiles/ to it's new fiefdom?
44
45 because to be able to do that, it would have to know about portage?