From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:19:00
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Cc: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
6 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:34 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Grant
7 > Edwards did opine thusly:
8 > > On 2010-11-16, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
9 > > >> spinrite claims to make the head do other things than what the drive
10 > > >> firmware makes it do.
11 > >
12 > > I'm afraid I'll have to call bullshit on that. I don't see how some
13 > > bit of PC software can make a drive head move. The firmware on the
14 > > drive controller board is the only thing that can make the head move.
15 > > Does spinrite claim they _replace_ the drive firmware with their own
16 > > custom version?
17 >
18 > Firmware is nothing more than high-level software that wraps low-level
19 > commands on the drive. High and low are to be taken here within the context of
20 >
21 > a drive and it's controls, so don't be thinking it's on the same level as
22 > fopen()
25 > SOMETHING makes the head move. That something is the servos, and they are
26 > under software control (how could it be otherwise?) If the registers and
27 > commands that control that can be exposed, fine control is possible. The
28 > firmware does not itself define the only things the head can do, in the same
29 > way that a file system does nto define the only things that can be written to
30
31 > a disk
32
33 While I am no hard drive expert - I would suppose that only the firmware would
34 have
35 access to the registers and commands that actually control the internals of the
36 hard drive; though it could be possible to utilize some lesser published
37 functionality
38 in the firmware, I would find it hard to believe that they would allow the
39 internals
40 of the hard drive to be controlled by anything other then their own software
41 (e.g. the firmware).
42
43 The primary responsibility of the firmware is to act as the control software and
44 present the software interfaces that are desired - e.g. support the commands
45 recieved
46 via the hardware bus interface (e.g. PATA, SATA, etc.).
47
48 There are probably some extra functions there for diagnostic purposes, but they
49 are likely
50 to be things only known by the manufacturer, things you could only expect
51 software from
52 the manufacturer to support or even possibly be aware of. In such case you
53 wouldn't be
54 bypassing the firmware - just using it in a slightly different, unpublished,
55 manufacturer-only
56 mode - user beware - e.g. firmware update.
57
58 Thus I'd have to agree with the BS-call.
59
60 Again, I am no hard drive expert.
61
62 $0.02